Nothing says winter warmth like the smell of apples, cinnamon, and clove hanging in the air! Read on to learn how to make the world's best wassail: a traditional German wintertime drink made with cider and winter's most delicious spices. Fill your home with the wonderful smells of the season, and have something unique and delicious to offer your guests!
Best Warm Winter Drink Recipe
What you need:
- Kitchen supplies:
- Small saucepan
- 1 gallon apple cider
- 12 whole cloves
- 6 whole allspice
- 3 cinnamon sticks
- 1/2 inch fresh peeled ginger
- 12 whole, white peppercorns (black will do in a pinch)
- Cut your cheesecloth into an approximately 18" by 18" square. Fold twice, keeping it square.
- Put your spices into the center of the folded cheesecloth, and tie into a bundle using the twine. Leave a long tail of twine.
- Place your spice pouch into a small saucepan, keeping the tail of twine pulled to the side. Pour your apple cider into the saucepan. You can let this sit without turning on the heat if you have to prep other dishes.
- About a half an hour before your gathering, turn on the heat and bring the drink to a boil.
- Lower the temperature and let the wassail simmer for 30 minutes.
- If everyone at your party drinks alcohol, you can add 12 ounces of bourbon to the simmering pot a few minutes before serving.
If some drink and others do not, use a jigger (a small measuring cup used for mixing drinks) to add 3/4 ounces of bourbon to the cups of those who want alcohol, and fill the rest of the cup up with wassail.
You can serve the drink piping hot straight from the stovetop using a ladle, or you can remove the spice pouch and pour into teacups or mugs yourself.
Use additional cinnamon sticks to garnish!